Lions fulfill the Reduce, Reuse, Recycle environmental message by reducing landfill debris through reuse or recycling.
Recycling is the process of collecting and processing materials that would otherwise be thrown away as trash and turning them into new products. Recycling can benefit your community and the environment.
Benefits of Recycling
- Reduces the amount of waste sent to landfills and incinerators;
- Conserves natural resources such as timber, water, and minerals;
- Prevents pollution caused by reducing the need to collect new raw materials;
- Saves energy;
- Reduces greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to global climate change;
- Helps sustain the environment for future generations;
- Helps create new well-paying jobs in the recycling and manufacturing industries in the United State
The collection of eyeglasses for recycling is an on‐going, year‐round program involving Lions throughout North Carolina. Reusable plastic frame glasses are sent to a Lions Recycling Center where they are cleaned, tested, classified and sent abroad to medical missions and welfare agencies for redistribution. Metal frame glasses and scrap metal are sold to a refinery and the redeemed cash is used to help fund the needs of the visually impaired.
Lions accept donations of old hearing aids. Any make or model, regardless of age, can be donated. The donated hearing aids are sold for salvage value and the proceeds are used to support the deaf blind retreat held at Camp Dogwood each year.
Magnifiers and Low Vision Aids
In partnership with the NC Assistive Technology Program the Lions are promoting the donation of used magnification devices. These items will be loaned for as long as needed, free of charge, to any individual who could benefit from such devices due to low vision.
Inkjet and Laser Cartridges
Sorry! This Program is discontinued